MINI MUSHROOM VEGGIE PIZZA
Pizza is my favorite food group. My last meal on Earth will definitely be a slice of cheese pizza from Pizza Hut. Their pizza is the best. FIGHT ME. Pero, I do not consume dairy or wheat, so regular delicious pizza is not an option for me. I always have to get it on a gluten-free crust (which costs extra) and without cheese; vegan cheeze is nasty. Bloop.
In comes the mushroom-crusted "pizza." As a plant-based eater, you often have to get creative. Next to tofu, mushrooms are a plant-based diet staple. Their versatility for cooking and nutritional value is impeccable. Before I was vegan, I thought mushrooms were utterly disgusting. It's fungus! However, if you cook your mushrooms right, my goodnessthey taste better than meat. YEAH. I SAID IT. These mini mushroom veggie "pizzas" came out scrumptious with the texture of a pizza bagel.
For this recipe I didn't have enough tomatoes to make a sauce, so I whipped up a zucchini one. I actually prefer non-tomato base on my pizza. (Mmm. Pesto.) The sauce came out a little more chunky, but was still delicious. I used the leftover for some gluten-free toast the next day.
- 3 portobello mushrooms
- 1 zucchini
- 1 tomato
- 1 tbsp oregano
- Sea salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Coconut oil
- Juice from 1/4 lemon
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- Clean mushrooms with water and remove stems if present and place on the side
- Dice zucchini, onion, and red bell pepper
- Cut tomato into quarters
- In a pot on high heat, pour coconut oil and add onions, reduce heat to medium, and saute onions until translucent
- Add zucchini, tomato, oregano, lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp parsley, and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, and add water if sauce looks too dry
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Using a brush or your fingers, place coconut oil on both sides of mushrooms, and put the top side of the mushrooms on a baking sheet
- Add zucchini sauce to inner side of mushrooms, top with red bell pepper, mushroom stems, and a pinch of sea salt and oregano
- Place in oven for 20 minutes